Pateley Bridge and Bewerley Memorial Hall was originally built as a way for the community to honour fallen soldiers from World War One and World War Two. Since then it has become a focal point for all kinds of community events. Several generations of local children ate their school dinners in the Hall. Beyond remembrance events, the Hall has seen birthday parties, ballroom dances, movie screenings, wedding receptions, and craft fairs.
History of the Hall
The original idea for creating the Hall was suggested by Harold Lowcock, who became a founder committee member. The site was chosen and bought from John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery Company Ltd for the sum of £100 in 1946. The local community raised money to build the Hall, and by 1955 a total of £2,829.1.9d had been collected.
Building work began in 1959, with major work completed in 1960.
The Hall was opened to the public on 10th September 1960.
Work was finally completed in 1962, and The Memorial Hall was officially opened by Frank Hartley, a founding commitee member.
Over the years, many improvements have been made to the original design including the addition of central heating, updates to the kitchen (several times!), new furnishings, better lighting for the stage, and the Hall has been redecorated quite a few times too!
In 2012, we celebrated our 50-year anniversary, and in 2022 we will celebrate our diamond anniversary!